Welcome to the The Librar-e and Resource Commons!
Bldg. 2603 Tuskegee Airmen Avenue
JB MDL McGuire
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 10am – 8pm
Friday - Sunday: 12pm – 5pm
SHOWCASED THIS YEAR
- Storytime in Foreign Languages
- Weekly Storytimes with “world fairy tales” and stories
- Click here for more information about the Librar-e and Resource Commons
- Library General Information
- Making international crafts
- A family program constructing ethnic floral designs
- A food demonstration: How to make Filipino egg rolls
- A program explaining how a GPS works
- “Suitcase stories” – children bring their suitcase, pillows, and favorite travel book and swap readings
- Origami crafts from different countries
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum sailing craft
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum “Passport” carrying case craft
- National Weather Service program about global warming
- End of Summer international “Art Exhibit”. Children will display their artwork of the stories they read about other countries, animals, food.
- Participants will also win prizes for reaching their reading goals and will be awarded a Certificate of Accomplishment at the end of the program.
Get access to online library materials at http://amcc.sirsi.net
Tech Center Hours:
Monday – Thursday: 10am – 5pm
- Reference & Education: Books, Netlibrary Digital Books, Online Journals and Abstracts, etc..
- Computer Services: 48 Public PC’s, Express Computers, Education Computers & More
- Monthly Events: Adult & Children events, Book Chats, Storytime, Bookmobile
- Other Services: DVDs, Music CDs, Video Games “Wii, PS3, Xbox 360″
Magazines are BACK!
The following magazines are available:
- AIR FORCE TIMES
- ALL YOU
- ARMY TIMES
- AUTISM/ASPERGER’S DIGEST
- AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY
- BEAD STYLE
- BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS
- BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK
- CONSUMER REPORTS
- CYCLE WORLD
- DO IT YOURSELF
- EATING WELL
- ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY
- EVERY DAY WITH RACHEL RAY
- FAMILY FUN
- FAMILY TREE
- FILIPINO AMERICAN HERALD
- FISHING TODAY
- FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE
- GOLF DIGEST
- GOLF MAGAZINE
- GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
- HGTV MAGAZINE
- HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN
- KIPLINGER’S PERSONAL FINANCE
- MARTHA STEWART LIVING
- MEN’S FITNESS
- MUSCLE FITNESS
- MONEY MAGAZINE
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FOR KIDS
- NATIONAL WILDLIFE
- NAVY TIMES
- ORGANIC GARDNER
- OUTDOOR LIFE
- PARENTS MAGAZINE
- PC GAMER
- PEOPLE MAGAZINE
- PILATES STYLE
- PSYCHOLOGY TODAY
- REAL SIMPLE
- RUNNER’S WORLD
- RUSSIAN AMERICAN
- SKIN AND INK
- SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
- SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FOR KIDS
- STEP BY STEP WIRE JEWELRY
- SUPER STREET
- WEIGHT WATCHER’S
- WOMAN’S DAY MAGAZINE
- YOGA MAGAZINE
- NEW YORK TIMES NEWSPAPER
- PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER NEWSPAPER
- USA TODAY
“Text a Librarian” Service is available for JB MDL community!
Responding to the popularity of text messaging, troops and members of the military community at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst can now ask questions and get information from the FSS Librar-e and Resource Commons by text message.
For patrons who are unable to ask a librarian in person or online, or those who simply prefer texting over talking, the “Text a Librarian” service provides a convenient option for getting info on their mobile device from the professional reference librarians at the Joint Base.
The new service provides an easy-to-use interface for our librarians and maintains the privacy of our patrons‘ information. All the questions and answers will be kept as an anonymous ID without the phone numbers for an archive purpose only.
Using the Service is easy! Text askjblib to 66746 for instructions.
*Message and Data Rates may apply*
CLEP Exam Preparation Streaming Video Lessons
The Air Force Library System now provides streaming College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examination preparation video lessons for 16 subjects. Watching the lectures will boost your success rate over using a book alone. This service allows patrons to stream the lessons to smartphones, tablets and computers. Videos accessible on commercial Internet only. When using Wi-Fi, the content is free. Data charges might apply when streaming to a phone.
For more information, please click here.
Volunteer Academic Mentoring Program (VAMP)
The 87FSS Librar-e & Resource Commons on Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst offers a FREE tutor/academic assistance program. Students can receive coaching individually and/or in groups.
The mission of this program is to support our military personnel, their dependents, and our civilian employees in their college careers by providing academic assistance for traditional and distance learning courses.
For more information, please click here.
Need a Book Recommendation? Check out these Pulitzer Award-Winners
“All the Light We Cannot See”
By Anthony Doerr
From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, a stunningly ambitious and beautiful novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. Deftly interweaving their lives, he illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another. Ten years in the writing, All the Light We Cannot See is a magnificent, deeply moving novel from a writer whose sentences never fail to thrill. McN DOE.
“The Sixth Extinction”
By Elizabeth Kolbert
Genre: General Nonfiction
Provides a moving account of the disappearances occurring all around us and traces the evolution of extinction as concept, from its first articulation by Georges Cuvier in revolutionary Paris up through the present day. The sixth extinction is likely to be mankind’s most lasting legacy, compelling us to rethink the fundamental question of what it means to be human. 576.8 KOL.