2017 ESSAY QUESTION:
For this year’s essay we'd like to hear about a time when you were tested to live up to these core values. Tell us about a specific moment when embodying these ideals was difficult, how you succeeded or failed, what you learned from the experience and how that impacts the way you live your life today."
Over the past nineteen years, the Air Force Club Scholarship Program has provided college tuition assistance to 446 Air Force Club Members and/or their eligible family members. This program is one of the many benefits of membership that Air Force Services Activity (AFSVA) is proud to continue in Fiscal Year (FY) 2017. Program starts with the essay entry site opening 1 Mar and closing 12 May 17.
In 2016 a video essay option was introduced with very good participation, so this option will again be offered this year. However, this year essays will be grouped into “Traditional” and “Non-Traditional” categories.
TRADITIONAL ESSAY CATEGORY - is defined as any essay (in either format) submitted by a 2017 high school eligible graduating senior
NON-TRADITIONAL ESSAY CATEGORY - is defined as any essay (in either format) submitted by all other eligible club members
Written essays should be 1000 words, but we will accept essay between 980 – 1020 (no more, no less); video essays must be 5 minutes, but we will accept 4.5 to 5.5 minutes (no more, no less).
Anything under or over this requirement will be disqualified. Scholarship and installation incentive winners will be announced 2 Jun 17 and posted at www.myairforcelife.com 12 Jun 17.
Ensure you meet and understand all eligibility requirements prior to applying. To apply visit www.myairforcelife.com. There, you can complete the application process and upload the required documents. Prior to announcing winner’s, membership/eligibility status will be verified using Club Works—your account must be active and in good standing.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION/ESSAY ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. A completely filled out application (located at www.myairforcelife.com) and either a written or video essay using the 2017 topic question.
a. A 1000 word written essay -- will accept essays between 980 - 1020 (no more, no less; paste essay in the designated area).
b. A 5-minute video -- will accept 4.5 to 5.5 minutes (no more, no less; paste youtube link in the designated box making sure it is accessible from the time of entry until September 2017).
2. Two Letters of Recommendation (attached where requested). Letters can come from your supervisor, clergy, civic leader, etc.
3. One Letter of Acceptance/Admission to the college/university of choice (attached where requested).
SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS / INSTALLATION INCENTIVES
The 2017 AF Club Scholarship Program will award 10 scholarships totaling $36K. Winners will be announced 2 Jun 2017 and their names will be posted at www.myairforcelife.com 16 Jun 2017. Scholarship checks will be mailed by 28 Jul 2017.
Additionally, the program will present three, $1K “incentive” cash transfers to the top three AF installation clubs with the most eligible entries (in either format) based on percentage of total club members. Cash transfers will be completed once an After Action Report (AAR) has been received by the program manager.
Air Force Club members in good standing, their eligible family member ID card holders (spouse, child or other eligible family member) working towards their FIRST Associate or Bachelor’s degree. To win a scholarship, you must meet ALL entry/eligibility requirements, plus provide all requested documents and/or uploads. Failure to meet eligibility requirements and/or provide all documents requested will result in automatic disqualification and/or forfeiture of scholarship. All winners’ eligibility will be validated at time of winning and prior to award of scholarships and if at any time the member’s “status” changes, i.e., the account has become inactive, delinquent, or charged off, the club members’ status will no longer be deemed “in good standing” and the scholarship will be forfeited. Lost or misplaced checks will not be re-issued. The Program Manager is not responsible for incorrect information given by the applicant.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The following categories of personnel are NOT ELIGIBLE to participate in this program:
• HQ USAF: Secretary of the Air Force, AF Chief of Staff; Vice Chief of Staff; Chief Master Sergeant of AF; Deputy Chief and Assistant Deputy of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services; Director and Deputy of Air Force Services; AF Services Career Field Manager; AF Services Operations Division Chief; AF Services Operations Sustainment Chief; their spouses and immediate family members.
• Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC): Commander, Vice Commander, Executive Director, Command Chief; their spouses and immediate family members.
• Air Force Installation Mission and Support Center (AFIMSC): Commander, Vice Commander, Executive Director, Command Chief; their spouses and immediate family members.
• Air Force Services Activity (AFSVA): Commander, Executive Director, Chief Enlisted Manager, Director of Operations, AF Food and Beverage Division Chief, the Program Manager; their spouses and immediate family members.